Just in: Sudan Armed Forces, RSF agree to 72-hour ceasefire deal brokered by Saudi, US

Just in: Sudan Armed Forces, RSF agree to 72-hour ceasefire deal brokered by Saudi, US

US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, has announced that warring parties in Sudan have agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire from Monday midnight (22:00 GMT).

This is the third ceasefire declared since the violence began earlier this month, but none was honoured by the parties in conflict.

The Sudan Armed Forces (SAF), said the truce was mediated by the United States and Saudi Arabia. The agreement was first announced by US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken, who said it came after two days of intense negotiations.

The RSF also confirmed in Khartoum, the capital, that it had agreed to the ceasefire, starting at Monday midnight, to facilitate humanitarian efforts.

In a written statement Monday, the RSF said it had agreed to the truce β€œin order to open humanitarian corridors, facilitate the movement of citizens and residents, enable them to fulfill their needs, reach hospitals and safe areas, and evacuate diplomatic missions.”

Latest News

Mr. Blinken stated that the United States would work with regional, international, and Sudanese civilian interests to form a committee to work on a permanent ceasefire and humanitarian arrangements.

“During this period, the United States urges the SAF and RSF to immediately and fully uphold the ceasefire. To support a durable end to the fighting, the United States will coordinate with regional and international partners, and Sudanese civilian stakeholders,” Blinken said in a statement.

Many foreign countries including the US, UK, France, Japan, Saudi Arabia have scrambled to evacuate their diplomats and civilians as fighting continues in the central parts of the capital, Khartoum.

Tens of thousands of people have fled the unrest, including Sudanese citizens and those from neighboring countries.

Meanwhile, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, warned that the violence in a country that borders the Red Sea, Horn of Africa, and Sahel regions “risks a catastrophic conflagration… that could engulf the entire region and beyond.”

He also called on the 15 Security Council members to use their influence to put Sudan back on the path of democratic transition.

No fewer than 427 people have been killed, hospitals and other services have been disrupted, and residential areas have been turned into battle zones since fighting broke out between the SAF and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) group on April 15.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.